Free School Meals

Free School Meals 

To apply for free school meals please follow this link and complete the online form:

Alternatively, you can download, complete and return the following form to Cann Bridge School Reception:

To qualify for free school meals your children must be in full time education in a local authority funded school or sixth form for full days (before and after lunch).  The parent or guardian the child lives with must receive one of the qualifying benefits. Pupils receiving Income Support in their own right are entitled to free school meals.

Please note: those receiving Working Tax Credit do not qualify even if Child Tax Credit and income criteria are met.

If your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 they will be entitled to receive Universal Free School Meals.

If your child is eligible for ‘free school meals’ and you register them for this, we’ll receive extra funding called ‘pupil premium’. We use this extra money to improve the educational provision and resources at the school. We can also receive additional funding for Previously Looked After Children (PLAC) and Service children (SPP).

What is pupil premium funding?

Pupil premium funding from the government is given annually to schools to help pupils reach their full potential, regardless of their background or financial situation. It’s provided for pupils who:

  • Are registered for free school meals
  • Have been registered for free school meals at any point in the past 6 years
  • Are, or have been, in care
  • Have parents in the armed forces

At Cann Bridge School, we get an extra £1,480 (for primary aged pupils) and £1,050 (for secondary aged pupils) – these figures are for the 2024/2025 financial year for every eligible pupil who is registered for free school meals. This extra money could make a real difference to the quality of education we offer.

For example, we’ve previously used pupil premium funding for:

  • Additional Education Psychology sessions
  • Weekly Occupational Therapy
  • Breakfast Club
  • Specific training and development

 Is my child eligible for free school meals?

Your child might be eligible if you access:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on
  • Universal Credit, provided you have an annual net earned income not exceeding £7,400 (£616.67 per month)

Your child might also be eligible if you’re in a household with no recourse to public funds (NRPF), subject to a maximum income threshold. This is for children of:

  • Zambrano and Chen carers (non-EEA nationals caring for a British citizen residing in the UK)
  • British National (Overseas) passport holders
  • Spousal visa, work visa, or student visa holders
  • Those with no immigration status
  • Families with a right to remain in the UK under Article 8 of the European Convention of Human Rights
  • Families receiving support under Section 17 of the Children Act 1989 who are subject to a no recourse to public funds restriction
  • Certain failed asylum seekers supported under Section 4 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Universal infant free school meals

Currently, pupils in reception, year 1 and year 2 are entitled to a free school meal thanks to a different government funding scheme known as universal infant free school meals (UIFSM). You shouldn’t confuse UIFSM with free school meals and the pupil premium.

If your child is in reception, year 1 or year 2 and is eligible for free school meals according to the criteria above, you should still register because we’ll receive the extra pupil premium funding.

Does my child have to eat the free school meals?

No. Pupils who are registered for free school meals don’t have to eat them. If you’re eligible but you want your child to have packed lunches you should still register because the school will receive the funding which can support your child in other ways.

How do I register?

You only need to register once at the school.

To register, please go to:

 Previously Looked After Children (PLAC)

If your child has been looked after by a local authority or other state care immediately before being adopted, or who left local authority or other state care on a special guardianship order or child arrangements order (previously known as a residence order). This includes children adopted from state care or equivalent from outside England and Wales. The school is able to receive a yearly grant of £2,570. Please do let the school know if your child is a Previously Looked After Child.

 Looked After Children (LAC)

The Pupil Premium Plus yearly grant is £2570 and is allocated directly to local authorities. LAC are defined in the Children Act 1989 as those who are in the care of, or provided with accommodation by, an English local authority. It is for the local authority to decide how much of this funding is passed on to Cann Bridge School. A Personal Education Plan (PEP) meeting is a termly meeting that focuses on the education and experiences of a child in care and the Pupil Premium Plus grant funding can be allocated to work towards identified targets.

Service Pupil Premium (SPP)

Service Pupil Premium (SPP) is designed to assist the school in providing additional support for children who may need it and the yearly grant is worth £335 per Service child who meets the eligibility criteria.

Cann Bridge can obtain SPP if your family meets one of the following criteria:

  • a parent is serving in the regular armed forces (including learners with a parent who is on full commitment as part of the full-time reserve service)
  • they have been registered as a ‘Service child’ on a school census in the past six years
  • a parent has died whilst serving in the armed forces and the learner receives a pension under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme or the War Pensions Scheme
  • a parent is in the armed forces of another nation and is stationed in England

Service parents need to make the school aware of their status by notifying the headteacher.

More information

For more information about how the pupil premium has been spent in the past academic year and how it will be spent this year please go to our Key Information & Reports page.